Luke 16

Scripture

Luke 16:10-15

10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own? 

13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. 15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight.

 

Observation-What does it say?

Jesus had just told a parable about a shrewd manager and gave a lesson on the importance of being trustworthy in handling wealth and also trustworthy with managing someone else’s property, not stingy or wasteful with it. 

 

Understanding-What does it mean?

It ALL belongs to God.

All of our gifts, talents, time, abilities and resources belong to the Lord. His resources, such as money, which is specifically highlighted in this passage, must be steward wisely. Although only 10% is required to be returned, the rest of the 90% belongs to God as well. 

The more trustworthy we are in handling His money, His gifts, His talents, His time, His resources, etc., the more He will entrust to us to manage.

 

Life Application

Be a trustworthy servant of the Lord and steward what He owns (our lives) wisely. 

Our whole lives belong to the Lord. We would not be alive today or have what we have today without His faithfulness and grace. 

We must love the Owner more than the gift. We serve the Giver, not the gift. 

It’s interesting in this passage how it talks about the Pharisees’ love of money. I would think that men who followed the law and did things by the book would steer away from that, but it reminds me that God does not look at the outward appearance, but the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). Their outward appearance would suggest that they were giving servants, but in their heart, they only gave to be seen (Matthew 6:1-4). They only gave out of what they already had, instead of giving ALL they had (Luke 21:1-4). They only gave out of obligation, not a cheerful heart (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Dear Lord, I pray that Your Holy Spirit would constantly remind us that our whole lives belong to You. I pray we would be a church that gives of our lives freely and generously, especially when it comes to furthering Your Kingdom. Amen.

-Michelle Gaddi