Posted on Feb 1, 2017 in From Pastor Gary
- Colossians 2:7 (TLB) 7 Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him. See that you go on growing in the Lord, and become strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with joy and thanksgiving for all he has done.
- Hebrews 6:1 (ETRV) 1 So we should be finished with the beginning lessons about Christ. We should not have to keep going back to where we started. We began our new life by turning away from the evil we did in the past and by believing in God. That’s when we were taught about baptisms, laying hands on people, the resurrection of those who have died, and the final judgment. Now we need to go forward to more mature teaching.
God wants you to grow in your faith. Not be a spiritual baby. He also says, “I want you to sow in faith. I want you to learn to become generous.”
You cannot become like God without becoming generous.
- 2 Corinthians 9:6 (TLB) 6 But remember this—if you give little, you will get little. A farmer who plants just a few seeds will get only a small crop, but if he plants much, he will reap much.
This is the law of you reap what you sow.
It’s true in every area of life.
- If you sow criticism you’re going to reap criticism.
- If you sow love you’ll reap love.
- If you sow kindness you will reap kindness.
BUT you always reap more than you sow.
When you plant one corn kernel in the ground you don’t get one kernel back. You get a whole stalk. You always get more back – either positively or negative of what you put out in life. And the Bible says if you sow generously you will reap generously.
So grow in faith, sow in faith and then God wants you to go in faith.
- Hebrews 11:8 (TLB) 8 Abraham trusted God, and when God told him to leave home and go far away to another land that he promised to give him, Abraham obeyed. Away he went, not even knowing where he was going.
Would you do that?
Abraham was up in years. He was in retirement phase, getting ready to hang it up and settle down and God said, “Get ready for the greatest journey of your life.” One thing I have experienced personally is that when you live by faith it involves going, often to places you hadn’t any idea you were planning to go to.
Growing, sowing and going…by faith!
Everything that God does in your life he does because of his mercy and grace and your faith. He does it by grace through faith.
- Hebrews 11:6 (NIV) 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- Matthew 9:29 (NIV) 29 “According to your faith will it be done to you”;
Jesus says you get to choose how much God blesses your life.
A lot of faith – a lot of blessing.
A little faith – a little blessing.
No faith – no blessing.
For the next 10 weeks we are looking at the life of Abraham and his journey of faith, come GROW, SOW and GO with us as we journey together in this life of faith.